Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Feel of Tokyo

I logged into Myspace today and this video popped up. I think it totally captures all of the things about Tokyo that are amazing and foreign. At the same time, it captures the home-like feel of a big city. I am intrigued by this feeling. Anywhere in the world you go, a big city has certain sights, smells, sensations, and emotions associated with it. It could be because I've been watching a lot of "Sex and the City" lately, but I am wishing that Lisa and I had checked the "city" box on our JET applications instead of "suburban town." At the same time, I doubt that Tokyo would feel the same if we lived in it every day. I guess you could say that Ito is like New Jersey to the Big Apple. We have everything we need here, and the countryside is gorgeous, especially now that fall has taken a firm hold of the landscape, but Tokyo is just right-over-there! I think I just convinced myself that Lisa and I have a prefect arrangement. But if any of you come to visit, rest assured we will be making a trip to the Big Sushi!

On a side note, I am reminded of several conversations I have had or overheard lately. A lot of people today bash capitalism as the root of all evil. Let's face facts, though. Without a profit motive and free enterprise (cornerstones of said root of all evil), there would be no reason for so many people to gather in one place. Without all those people buying and selling in one place, there is no city. So if you Heart NY, or any other metropolis, tip your hat a little to the rat race, that economic system we sometimes love to hate, Capitalism.


Posted By:Myles

Get this video and more at MySpace.com

Oh, and let me just give a shout out to all my New Yorker Family, especially those who still live there--mad props goin' out to Staten Island Ronnie n' Alan WHAT WHAT!).

2 comments:

fotoprincesa said...

Umm...that video was really cool. I dunno what that Caiptalism babble was all about.....coo vid tho! Thanks for keepin it real. OH...and if you talk shit about Jersey again, Ill kill you.

Paul L. Gambon said...

HAH! I meant no disrespect to Jersey, just that it's largely a burb for NYC.

Capitalism Rules!