Monday, August 07, 2006

Update--Lisa is on the ground in Nihon!


Well, after about 24 hours en route, I finally made it to Tokyo! The flight was long but bearable (for those of you who are planning to visit). One of the first things I noticed here was how efficient everything/everyone is. From the moment I stepped off the plane, friendly people were telling me where to go, what forms I needed, where to put my baggage, what bus to get on, etc. Very good when your mind is in a total and utter daze. All of the members of the Japanese Exchange and Teaching, or JET program, are staying at the Keio Plaza Hotel in downtown Tokyo. There are about 3000 new JETs here right now, so it is kind of crazy. They have been treating us really well so far. Tonight is our official welcome reception. It should be fun. Last night a few of us braved the unknown and tried to find dinner. Tokyo looks like a normal big city, except it is very tall (no building height restrictions here) and obviously everything is in Japanese characters. There are TONS and TONS of huge neon signs that make it look like daytime. One of the neon lights led us to a ramen house for some noodles. For 1000 yen, we got a beverage (water) and a huge bowl of noodles, broth, bamboo, peas, and chicken fingers. I know the combo is a bit strange, but even more strange is that I had to eat with chopsticks--Something I have NOT mastered yet. Today and for the rest of my time in Tokyo, I will be in lots of orientation meetings. Good information, just a lot of it all at once. Wednesday I will take a bus to my Japanese hometown of Ito. I am very excited to get to my new 4 room (note: 4 room, NOT 4 bedroom) apartment. First though, one week of living with a host family who will hopefully be teaching me some useful Japanese phrases! So to everyone who gets this, I just wanted to say hi and let you know I am alive. If you get a chance drop me a line. Oh, by the way, our house is still on the market, so if anyone knows someone who wants a condo in Jax, FL let me know!

No comments: